Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Westward 2013 - Part 2 (8/6 - Biking on Corkscrew, Hurricane, California, Animas Forks, and Black Bear Pass)


Vaughan posting this time.  My new friend Brooks and I went out on the dirtbikes again today, mostly retracing the route that Julie and I did in our jeep (Corkscrew Gulch, Hurricane Pass, California Gulch, Animas Forks then lunch again in Silverton.  After lunch I suggested that we ride to the top of Black Bear pass (the site of my crash last year and tumble into the stream just before the waterfall).  By just going to the top and turning around we could avoid the really dangerous section, so off we went.  When we got to the top it was beginning to rain but Brooks want to proceed on to see the "steps" (the dangerous part).  I agreed with some apprehension.  This time when we got to the "steps" I suggested getting down by brake sliding with the engine off.  I did this and made it (barely) without dropping the bike, however Brooks decided to ride it and crashed in about the same spot I did last year.  Luckily he was basically unhurt and didn't tumble into the stream or go over the cliff or waterfall.  Once past this it was a fairly easy ride down the switchbacks into Telluride.  We had intended to return to Ouray via Imogene Pass (another difficult climb and descent), but the rain and thunderstorms made us rethink that idea.  Being on top of a mountain in a thunderstorm is not a really good idea.  So we returned to Ouray by the long (50 mile), but safer, road route.  It was a miserable wet, cold ride.

Only a single pic for now, but I have some great but long videos showing almost all of the entire ride that I will be posting to youtube once I get to someplace with a decent internet connection.  Some really great scenery.


Here is a video of the worst section of the trail.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGEj1IIvDHs


    No comments:

    Post a Comment