Wednesday, June 14, 2017

2017-04-10: Elephant Hill

April 10:  
This is the day I dreaded.  Elephant Hill was on Vaughan's Bucket List - not mine!  This Jeep run is also rated 4 but we had heard horror stories about how many people have rolled their Jeeps or broke down.  

At least on the way there we passed one of my favorite spots - Newspaper Rock.


and so it begins - 



At this spot you come down a steep hill, pull your nose up to the rock wall, then back down another steep cliff because you cannot make the turn.

Going backwards - not my favorite.



This is a picture of us sent by a friend.


It's a wonder I have any teeth left.  We got bounced around pretty hard.


Another tight squeeze.  When you pull in your mirrors and can reach out your window and touch the rock wall beside you - it's tight.

Lunch break with Anton & Loro  (he looks like Harrison Ford and she could be my sister).

Our crew - 


The Confluence - this is the spot where the Green River meets the Colorado River.  You can see the different colors of the waters.  They don't fully combine immediately but run side by side.



and back on the "road".




Heading back to civilization - I must say that at the beginning of the trip I was in panic mode but by the end I was instructing Vaughan on where to safely place his tires to get over some of the obstacles. The drivers can't always see where they are going.  Sometimes all they can see is sky.   Old dogs can be taught new tricks (but you can't shake all the fear out, trust me).  It took over 3 hours to go about 12 miles.

No comments:

Post a Comment