Thursday, March 26, 2015

2015-03-26 Buckhorn Draw, Rochester Trail & Moore Cutoff (Canyons, Pictographs, & Dinosaur Tracks)

We started our day driving through Buckhorn Draw - a beautiful drive.






and some amazing pictographs



and petroglyphs


and a small dinosaur track!! (We put our feet next to it so you could see the size)


 We saw this little prairie dog along the way.   


Then we drove what was called "Rochester Trail" to a grouping of petroglyphs on the top of a ridge.  I was determined to see them even though the climb was up the side of a cliff and then across a very narrow ridge (at least in my mind).

It doesn't look like much - see if you can spot me.  I am on the other side waiting for Vaughan to go across and tell me it's safe.  I am wearing a pink shirt about a third of the way down and in the middle of the picture - hugging a large rock. There was a cliff on each side.  He finally convinced me with the promise of an amazing petroglyph panel,  

He was right - once I got across I was rewarded with these amazing shots.


I practically ran back across back to my big boulder.

Back on the road we went south to Moore Cutoff Road and more petroglyphs and dinosaur tracks.




The perfectly spaced bumps you see on the face of this boulder are raised dinosaur tracks.

Who knows what tomorrow holds ...

1 comment:

  1. Oh the beauty of rocks! Great finds on the petroglyphs. And a "you go girl!" Julie. I always stand alittle taller when I overcome an obstacle like you did! Gay

    ReplyDelete